How to find and merge duplicate contacts in bulk
To find and merge duplicate contacts in your account:
- Click on the down arrow beside Search and open Advanced search (see A).
- In the Advanced search menu, click on Select... > Database utilities > Duplicates (see B).
- Choose to search for duplicates by email address or by first and last name (see C), and click Run to filter by the contacts meeting this criteria (see D).
- Possible duplicate email addresses (or first and last names) will be detected and displayed above their associated contacts (see E) and you can choose all contacts in bulk by selecting the check boxes (see F).
- Click Merge duplicates when you're ready (see G).
- Your merged contacts will appear in your Action Stream, now as individual contacts (see H).
- Bulk merging is a powerful feature and cannot be "undone". Please be sure to check that your list is correct before running. Note: If you have a high number of duplicates, recommend to do an export of your database and check it based on first name, last name & email address prior to merging the duplicates.
- Choose to merge contacts by email address or by first and last name.
- All Deals, Notes and stored emails from the duplicate contacts will be copied to the single contact when merged.
- Single value fields such as First name, Last name, Job title, Organization, Address (City, State, Zip, Country), Status, Lead source, Owner and Custom fields (Except for checkbox) will be copied from the most recently-created contact. We're assuming that the most recent contact's details are the most up-to-date.
- Multiple value fields such as Phone, Email, URL, Tags, Background and Custom fields (checkbox) will be copied to the merged contact. For example, if two duplicate contacts have two different phone numbers, both numbers will be copied to the new, single merged contact.