Top tips for importing in OnePageCRM
1. Last name OR Organization name are required fields in order to create a contact in OnePageCRM.
- If you have both First name and Last name in the one column, you can easily separate into two. For more details on this click here.
2. Download the import example file and populate the cells with your contact’s details if you don’t have an existing CSV file with your contact’s data or if you’re unsure of what fields you can import.
- For any columns in your .CSV file that OnePageCRM does not have as default fields, you must create custom fields in OnePageCRM prior to importing.
3. Prepare your file by deleting any columns you don’t need. This saves you having to Ignore fields in Step 2 of the Import process.
5. Before importing, remove duplicates from your import file before importing. For more information on this, check out How to remove duplicates from import file in Excel? article.
6. Make sure you’ve saved your file as .CSV (comma separated value) format as otherwise you may receive errors such as “Invalid file type. Please check that you've selected a .csv file and try again.”
7. To import special characters (for example: á, è, õ, ü, ć) seamlessly, download a free app called Libre Office as it gives you the option to save in Unicode UTF-8.
8. It’s only possible to import a file with one tab, will not work if you've several tabs on the one file.
9. Be realistic when setting Next Actions on your import file. For example set 10 for one date, then 10 for the next date… as you don’t want to start off by creating lots of overdue actions.
10. Check all fields prior importing to ensure they are mapped correctly. If OnePageCRM does not recognize a field, it’ll highlight in yellow (see below) but good to glance over all fields.
11. Error: Invalid file separator: Check to ensure you don't have a coma at the end of a sentence without any more text. Check to ensure you aren't using a semi-colon when you should be using a coma. You can always do a 'find and replace' in Excel to update both.
12. Always recommend to import a small sample of data first to ensure all data is correct and mapped in OnePageCRM.
13. Recommend to import in batches of 10,000 or less - break up your large file into smaller ones.
14. Take note! Option to “un-do” an import within 24 hours from Import / Export history page.